History of the Building
In 1941, the previous Hall, Library and Treasury buildings were destroyed by enemy action. After the war, Sir Hubert Worthington was commissioned to design the replacement Hall, Library and Treasury Office. His scheme included a mansard roof spanning across the Hall and Treasury, and is shown
in the drawing below.
(The Hall was destroyed by enemy action in 1941. The current Hall and Treasury are largely built on the foundations of the original building.)
Progress of the replacement building was very slow. As plans changed and costs spiralled, the War Damage Commission lost patience at the apparent absence of project management.
In November 1953, Worthington was dismissed and replaced by his junior associate T.W. Sutcliffe, who presented revised plans to the Inn’s Executive Committee including a number of suggested savings to reduce costs.
The first saving on the list was to omit the mansard roof above the Library, and replace this with a flat roof. This saving was duly adopted, and only the mansard above the Hall was thus retained, hence the existing roof form. The building was finally opened in 1958. The proposals shown in this exhibition will complete Sir Hubert Worthington’s design with the construction of a clay tiled mansard spanning across both buildings.
Read more about the Inner Temple's History here.
(Sir Hubert Worthington’s designs of the Hall and Treasury included a mansard roof extending across both parts of the building.)