The Inner Temple offer a small number of scholarships for those with a minimally funded pupillage, called Benefactors’ Scholarships.
The Marshall Hall Trust provided £10,000 in 2016 that the panel divided between successful applicants as Marshall Hall Pupillage awards. It is hoped these funds will be availabe again in 2017.
It will be the same application form for both - you will be considered for both the Inner Temple and the Marshall Hall funding at the same time.
The awards offered by the Inn are:
- The Otto and Sadie Rix Scholarship: £2300
- The Rachel Lawrence Scholarship: £2000
- Leonard Woodley Scholarship: £1000
- Sunley Prize: £1000 (awarded by the Knights of the Round Table to those who have debated and mooted for the Inn)
- Sweet and Maxwell Scholarship: £400
- Cecile Yahuda Scholarship: £325
- Basil Nield Scholarship: £250
- Neville Laski Scholarship: £150
- Geoffrey Veale Scholarship: £100
- Ede and Ravenscroft Prize: wig, gown and circuit case
Candidates should apply on-line, using the form on the web-site. The closing date for 2017 applications will be 1pm on Wednesday 31st May. The form will be available from this page from the 3rd May. Two references are required, one academic and one personal. Click here to download the Referee Letter. The Committee will also usually expect to be provided with a letter from the Applicant’s pupil supervisor (or proposed pupil supervisor) or from the head of chambers or the chambers’ pupillage committee, confirming the funding arrangements for the pupillage.
There is no interview for the Inner Temple awards but if you are selected for Marshall Hall funding a short interview with the Trustees of the Marshall Hall Trust will be required.
The closing date for 2017 awards is Wednesday 31 May at 1pm. The form will be avavilable from this page on 3rd May 2017.